Strange one in my Azure VM, booted my domain controller and then a few minutes later I booted my Exchange 2019 VM, only to find that it won't accept connections on RDP.

Received the famous NLA authentication error.

That was fixed with a remote command from the domain controller, here is the command for those interested:

    null
  • $TargetServer = "Exchange-2019"
  • (Get-WmiObject -class "Win32_TSGeneralSetting" -Namespace root\cimv2\terminalservices -ComputerName $TargetServer -Filter "TerminalName='RDP-tcp'").SetUserAuthenticationRequired(0)

That seemed to work, however after a reboot I noticed that my outlook client would not connect.

Upon checking the services on the Exchange server, most were stopping and some were stuck starting.

The event log was full of errors about DNS and that the information store could not initialise. What I found strange was that my DC and Exchange server IP addresses were switched around, wonder if there was a problem in Azure as the static entries I had entered a while ago were all incorrect.

Here is a list of some of the errors logged in the event log:

  • Event ID 4096 - MSExchangeRepl
  • Event ID 2155 - MSExchangeRepl
  • Event ID 1002 - MSExchangeThrottling

Changed the DNS entries on the Exchange server and rebooted it, after that the errors were gone and the event log clear, all popups in Outlook also gone.