none
Problem Installing SQL Server 2012 Express

Question

• Hello

I'm in the process of installing SQL Server 2012 and the install is continually failing. It reports to possibly be a problem with the package; I've tried downloading three times now and setup has failed each time. There is a link below to the install log file which I believe will likely be more help than my attempting to describe the symptoms but please let me know if there is any additional information which would help in finding the problem.

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9ACB131B26E0E088!514&authkey=!ABuTadbr92UTFpo

Thanks in advance. 

Tuesday, November 12, 2013 11:15 PM

Answers

All replies

• Thanks for the reply. I had already had a read of those two. I'm not running this from an ISO image, just directly from the download. I did try a repair post install but to no avail... 
    Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:09 AM
  • Hello,

Please share with us the following log too:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Setup Bootstrap\Log\20131112_230300\SqlWriter_Cpu64_1.log  

This could provide us more information about the error.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:24 AM
  • Hi Leo,

According to your summary file, it is confused that the version of  Database Engine Services and SQL Server Replication are SQL Server 2008 in product features department. We need to verify if you had installed the SQL Server 2008 and now you upgrade it to SQL Server 2012. If not , I recommend you uninstall the older version of SQL Server completely then reinstall SQL Server 2012 again. In addition, we need to verify if you run the installation media as  administrator and your account is allowed full control to the setup files and folders. Please post more details for analysis.

Thanks,
    Sofiya Li

Sofiya Li
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, November 14, 2013 8:50 AM
  • Alberto - Here is the file you mentioned:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=9ACB131B26E0E088!1242&authkey=!AC3jk0TJu3rttIM

Sofiya - This is a brand new PC without any version of SQL installed. I am the only user and am the administrator for the PC. 

Hope this helps. 

Thursday, November 14, 2013 9:24 PM
  • Hello,

“Error Code: 29559

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with the package. The error code is 29559”

Let’s try to work around the issue on a different way. Please try to download the following Evaluation Copy of SQL Server 2012, run setup, and on the “Product Key” page select Express Edition (on the “Specify a free edition” combo box).

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29066

Do you have another instance of SQL Server installed?

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alberto Morillo
    SQLCoffee.com

Friday, November 15, 2013 1:55 AM
  • It's not a problem with your downloaded setup package, it's a problem with the MSI file for SQL Writer installed on your box. Please rename the c:\WINDOWS\Installer\a776e34.msi file and try running the setup again. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Harsh

HarshDeep Singh
    Premier Field Engineer, Microsoft
    MCTS, MCITP: DBA (SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008)

Sunday, November 17, 2013 3:36 AM
  • Hi. I raised this a while ago but had other things to work on so haven't attempted to resolve as yet. HarshDeep, I'm not too sure what you mean. Which file should I rename to that path?
    Friday, January 17, 2014 10:59 PM
  • Rename the c:\WINDOWS\Installer\a776e34.msi to something else, and then try running setup again.

HarshDeep Singh 
    Premier Field Engineer, Microsoft 
    MCTS, MCITP: DBA (SQL Server 2005, SQL Server 2008)

Saturday, January 18, 2014 5:20 AM
  • Hi HarshDeep, I'm experiencing the same problem with my SQL Server 2012 Installation.

I cant find that specific .msi file.  If there is another resolution, please post here.

Thanks,
    _pGwtech

Wednesday, June 10, 2015 2:49 PM
  • Solved this:  I had an old SQL Server on the same machine.  When I removed the old one, I deleted all the folders and ran ccleaner to clean the registry.  This left a damaged sqlwriter service on the machine.  I used "sc delete sqlwriter" to remove it.  Once I did that, it ran ok.  Another thing that I think helped was running sql server installer as administrator.
    Joe

Friday, September 02, 2016 6:46 PM