none
WMIProviderException: An error occurred when attempting to connect to the report server remote procedure call (RPC) end point

    Question

  • I am getting the following error message while trying to configure a database for a Reporting Service Server.  Both SQL Server and Reporting server are 2012 named instances.  I have 2014 instances as well on the same server.

    Exception details...

    Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.WMIProviderException: An error occurred when attempting to connect to the report server remote procedure call (RPC) end point. Verify that the Report Server Windows service is running, and then retry the operation.

     ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x800706B3): The RPC server is not listening. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800706B3)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.RSWmiAdmin.ThrowOnError(ManagementBaseObject mo)
       at Microsoft.ReportingServices.WmiProvider.RSWmiAdmin.GenerateDatabaseScript(String databaseName, Int32 lcid, Boolean isSharePointIntegrated, String& script)
       at ReportServicesConfigUI.WMIProvider.RSReportServerAdmin.GenerateDatabaseScript(String databaseName, Int32 lcid, Boolean isSharePointIntegrated, String& script)

    Can someone help me on this please?

    Friday, August 01, 2014 7:10 PM

Answers

  • Thanks Simon for your Answer. 

    I had checked both and there was no specific issue with it.  I have sysadmin permissions on the server.

    Since time was critical and the servers were new, I removed all SQL instances (2014 and 2012).  Reinstalled SQL 2012 edition only.  This time it worked.  It should have been an issue with the installation it seems.

    Regards,

    Jaigi

    Monday, August 11, 2014 7:43 AM

All replies

  • Hi Jaigi,

    According to your description, you want to change a report server database for Reporting Services. But it fails on the last step and returns a error. Right?

    In this scenario, it seems you are creating a report server database on another server via remote connection. Based on the error message, it has issues on executing the script for generating new database. Please check if you have permission to connect the server and create a new database. Also please check if the Reporting Services Windows services is working properly.

    If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

    Best Regards,
    Simon Hou

    Wednesday, August 06, 2014 7:24 AM
    Moderator
  • Thanks Simon for your Answer. 

    I had checked both and there was no specific issue with it.  I have sysadmin permissions on the server.

    Since time was critical and the servers were new, I removed all SQL instances (2014 and 2012).  Reinstalled SQL 2012 edition only.  This time it worked.  It should have been an issue with the installation it seems.

    Regards,

    Jaigi

    Monday, August 11, 2014 7:43 AM
  • I encounter the same problem. it said problem occur after install sql server 2014.and solved by modify 4 .config files

    convert the value of newversion from 12 to 11

    cls
    $open="C:\Program Files (x86)\Notepad++\notepad++.exe"
     
    cd 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Policy.11.0.Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.ObjectModel'
    Get-ChildItem  *.config -Recurse|%{&$open $_.FullName}
    cd 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Policy.11.0.Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint.Server'
    Get-ChildItem  *.config -Recurse|%{&$open $_.FullName}
    cd 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Policy.11.0.Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint12.Server'
    Get-ChildItem  *.config -Recurse|%{&$open $_.FullName}
    cd 'C:\Windows\assembly\GAC_MSIL\Policy.11.0.Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint14.Server'
    Get-ChildItem  *.config -Recurse|%{&$open $_.FullName}

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?>
    <configuration>
      <runtime>
        <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
          <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity publicKeyToken="89845dcd8080cc91" name="Microsoft.ReportingServices.SharePoint14.Server" culture="neutral"></assemblyIdentity>
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="11.0.0.0" newVersion="11.0.0.0"></bindingRedirect>
          </dependentAssembly>
        </assemblyBinding>
      </runtime>
    </configuration>

     

    • Proposed as answer by Rwega Friday, September 02, 2016 9:58 AM
    Thursday, April 28, 2016 1:50 AM
  • You have served my day,i had been stuck for more than two months!! i followed this solution after uninstalling SQL server 2014 and it worked fine.

    Thanks million times

    Friday, September 02, 2016 9:59 AM