I've seen a couple of similar questions have been asked but as yet I don't have an answer.
I have got EXTREMELY slow/non existent file transfer speeds between my USB external hard drive/pen drives and my HDD.
I have no problem at all copying, moving files from/to my Android phone. That works a charm.
Initially when connecting the external hard drive, it takes an age to even load up and slows the whole system down.
Both the pen drives and the hard drive work fine on other computers (not tried on another Windows 7 computer).
I've done numerous checks for updates and I'm as certain as I can be that the USB drivers are the most up to date (the computer was only built around 5 months ago and has always had this problem)
I have tried using 3rd party software for file transfer but this runs into the same errors.
I am running:Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1
I'm not sure what technical specifications are needed to help with this so just shout and i'll get them to you.
Please refer to the steps below to reinstall USB controller.
Reinstall USB controllers
Use the Mouse
First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:
1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".
Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.
Use the Keyboard
First, please disconnect all USB devices. Then, go through the following steps:
1. Press "Ctrl + Esc" to open the Start Menu.
2. Type Device Manager in the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
3. In Device Manger, press Tab and use "Up" and "Down" to move the highlight to "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
4. Press "Right" and expand it.
5. Press "Down" to move to the first item and press "Delete" to remove it.
6. Repeat the step 5 and uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus Controllers".
Then, restart your computer and Windows will reinstall all controllers automatically.
TechNet Community Support